Brrrr. I’m really looking forward to temperatures about 50 degrees.
1. Tripp Cam! Yes, I know it wasn’t the most glamorous look ever but it was neat to see that perspective of the ice and interviews. I found it refreshing and interesting. Kudos to our whole crew for trying something new and being the first play-by-play broadcaster to have this perspective.
2. Justin Faulk’s mother told me the U.S. Olympian went skating for the first time, in Minnesota when he was just 3 years old. He cried the entire time. The next winter, she took him out again with his older brother and he was skating on his own with no practice!! It was incredible, she said. She suspected he picked up the technique from watching the Mighty Ducks movies over and over. A very observant kid whose humble beginnings should inspire any young, aspiring hockey players out there!
3. Michal Jordan scored his FIRST NHL GOAL in Ottawa. It’s funny how similar his name is to the NBA legend, Michael Jordan of nearby UNC. But I’m blown away by the fact that #47 for the Canes scored in his 23 NHL game, the night before the 52nd birthday of the hoops star! Michal often gets confused with Michael on social media and told me that he got a bunch of mistaken Happy Birthday tweets on Tuesday. (Oh and by the way, he mentioned that his son and wife went to bed JUUUUSSST before the goal so they missed it, live!)
<iframe src=”http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed?playlist=754816″ frameborder=”0″ width=”640″ height=”395″></iframe>
4. The Canes played the Senators on Monday and faced former BU defenseman, Eric Gryba. The avid outdoorsman started a duck and geese calling company with a couple of his hunting buddies. They have only been in business for about a year but they dominate the Canadian market and are quickly expanding. He told me that duck hunters pay big bucks for their hobby. What a way to turn a passion into a business! Check out the website.
5. Tim Gleason recently played in his 700th NHL game. He’s one of my favorite people to talk to because he has a tough outside but a thoughtful and kind inside. Speaking of rugged, I asked around the locker room who is overall the toughest on the team and it was a unanimous decision- Gleason. Not because of his fighting, but he will block a shot and stay on to finish his shift. He finishes his checks and sets the tone. His teammates love it.
Also- I chatted with Gleason on his 700th milestone and he said he remembers his first game vividly. He had a tone of ice time playing for the Kings in his debut at Joe Louis Arena right near where he grew up. What a memory! He remembers being nervous about playing against his idol Steve Yzerman and missed a golden scoring chance on a clear breakaway…years later he gets a laugh out of it.
6. Are you on Instagram? There are some pretty wild, funny accounts like ‘DaddyIssues_’ and ‘9gag.’ Here are a couple of my favorites:
Cari Champion from ESPN for a little bit of sports, fun and inspiration,
…. TravelWriteDraw if you’re into fashion and creativity
……..TSN_Official for the hockey lovers <3
7. And Finally some inspiration…. it seems everyone has an opinion. Some forget that they have never walked a mile in your shoes and that everyone has their own story.