I hope everyone’s week is off to a great start!
1. Of Miracles and Men by ESPN was outstanding. Before you say “Do we really need another hockey movie about the 1980—” I’m going to interrupt you and say “YES!” This is from the Soviet perspective and realllllyyyy opened my eyes. I don’t want to give it away but I will tell you that my favorite line from one Soviet coach was “treat your teammate like the love of your life.” Nothing replaces chemistry in sports! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4mVdx3pgUk
2. I won’t get too into politics because I promised that I would not BUT I just learned that it’s illegal to bet on federal elections in the United States. I never gave it much thought since I don’t bet but that makes sense. HOWEVER, Paddy Power, a spot in London takes millions of bets for our elections in the USA. Ha!
3. If you’re lonely on Valentine’s Day and need a good giggle-
4. I’ve been training for my first ever 10k in March, in Durham. I’m not a big fan of running as exercise, I prefer spin class and lifting but it was a challenge I wanted to give myself. 20 miles a week, mixed in with travel hasn’t been easy training.
5. Work isn’t easy some days but here’s a little reminder about perspective
6. Victor Rask is underrated. Plain and simple. He has 18 points in 52 games and some people might think so what? compared to the likes of fellow Swede rookie Filip Forsberg with 48 points in 54 games. Or Johnny Gaudreau, Jonathan Drouin…. etc. etc. But Rask is a play maker. He anticipates, he sees everything around him instead of just the play immediately in front of him. Last I checked he was 1 of only 4 rookies to play every game for their team. That shows he can handle the work load and wear and tear of the NHL schedule and travel. Assistant Coach Rod Brind ‘Amour told me that Rask “sees the ice like the elite [players] do.” A very high compliment from someone witch as much experience as him. Don’t look at the numbers, those will come soon- just enjoy him playing.
7. ICYMI- That sneaky Sharkie got me again. Not a fan of mascots, and I obviously get spooked very easily. http://instagram.com/p/y2Cjjii4CJ/